Accéder au contenu principal

70 years ago, in 1954, she was kicked out because she loved a black man. Now, see how things have changed for them.

Jake and Mary Jacobs marked 70 years of a joyful marriage last year, but the journey wasn’t simple. In the 1940s in Britain, Mary, a White woman, and Jake, a Black man, lived in the same city. Jake was one of the few black men around. Even though Mary’s father told her to leave, she stayed because she was in love with Jake and was determined to be with him.
“When I told my dad I was going to marry Jake, he said, ‘If you marry him, you won’t come back home.'” Mary and Jake met at a technical college where Mary was learning typing and shorthand, and Jake was training in the Air Force. They crossed paths when Jake moved from Trinidad during the war. Jake started talking to Mary, who lived in Lancashire. She liked that he understood Shakespeare. Later, Jake and his friend invited Mary and her friend to a picnic. Unfortunately, a woman on a bike saw them and told Mary’s father. He was shocked to see his daughter with black guys and forbade her from visiting him again.
Jake and Mary Jacobs marked 70 years of a joyful marriage last year, but the journey wasn’t simple. In the 1940s in Britain, Mary, a White woman, and Jake, a Black man, lived in the same city. Jake was one of the few black men around. Even though Mary’s father told her to leave, she stayed because she was in love with Jake and was determined to be with him. After Jake went back to Trinidad, they exchanged letters. A few years later, he came back to the UK for a higher-paying job. Jake surprised Mary by proposing, and even though she was 19, she said yes. However, when she told her family, they kicked her out. “I left with just a tiny suitcase. No family attended our simple wedding at the registry office in 1948.” Mary shared that her father was shocked about her marrying a black man, and she didn’t realize that the rest of society shared similar sentiments. The early years of our marriage in Birmingham were really tough. I cried every day and hardly ate. Nobody talked to us, and finding a place to live was hard because nobody would rent to a black man, and we had no money. Even just walking down the street was hard because people would point at us, Mary said.
Mary got pregnant, and the couple felt happy about becoming parents. However, at 8 months, she had a stillborn child. “It wasn’t because of the stress, but it really saddened me, and we never had more children,” she explained. Things got better for them as Mary became a teacher and later an assistant principal in a British school, while Jake found a job at the Post Office. They made new friends, but Mary felt the need to mention that her husband was black before introducing him. “My father passed away when I was 30, and even though we had reconciled by then, he never approved of Jake,” she mentioned. Jake, aged 89, and Mary, aged 84, live in Solihull, a town south of Birmingham. They just celebrated 70 years of marriage. Jake says he has no regrets, but he also believes that today’s black youth don’t fully grasp how life was for him in 1940s Britain. “I faced abuse every day when I came to the UK. Once, on a bus, a man rubbed his hands on my neck, saying, ‘I wanted to see if the dirt would come off.’ “And at that time, working in an office wasn’t allowed because having a black man in an office with all the white girls was considered unsafe.”
Even with many challenges, prejudice, and mistreatment, the couple remains deeply in love and has no regrets about being married. They’ve been happily married for over 70 years. They are truly inspiring, and I hope they continue to experience a lifetime of joy because of the love they

Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

L'épineux problème de la représentation des Noirs en Italie

Tuesday, 14 July 2009 Italian Vogue - Black Issue So I never had the chance to purchase the Italian Vogue dedicated to Black models and people. But through browsing the net I learned about the topic in that issue: celebrating blackness. For the first time an Italian Magazine was dedicating its issue to Blacks. That was history. All my life I've wondered when I was going to see a mainstream magazine featuring black models and media personality. I love my ethnicity and I had to renounce some of it to fit in, because sometimes it was difficult to relate to someone (most of the time I related due to some aspect of their personalities and not to their colour, but I was always happy to see a black models or actresses). I remember whe I cut a picture of a black girl and I attached to my bedside so that I can be slim like her; this shows how I wanted more black models to look up to. However, growing up all the ads and products around me were dedicated to White people (maybe it was bec...

Imaan Hammam Dutch Model of North African Origin

MODEL Imaan Hammam Net Worth, Model, Age, Height, Career, Bio, Facts April 13, 2020 The fashion industry has been a platform that introduces diverse races, sex, and nationality. Imaan Hammam is one of the Dutch models who has been bringing storm in the industry since she arrived. Surprisingly, Imaan rose to fame in a concise time. Hammam has signed to DNA Model Management, VIVA Model Management, Why Not Model Management, and more. We are going to talk about how this diva rose to prominence and all about how she was launched. Let’s get to know her more through some quick facts. Quick Facts About Imaan Hammam Full Name Imaan Hammam Birth Date June 05, 1996 Birth Place Amsterdam, Netherlands Nick Name Imaan Hammam Religion Muslim Nationality Dutch Ethnicity Moroccan and Egyptian Education N/A Horoscope Libra Father’s Name N/A Mother’s Name N/A Siblings Aicha Hammam Age 23 years old Height 5 ft 10 inches Weight 56 kg or 123½ pounds Shoe Size 9 US Hair Color Brown Eye Color Brown Bo...

¿Colombia hacia la integración racial?

Hernando Salazar Bogotá, Colombia Moreno le dijo a la BBC que a través de la cultura se puede promover la integración racial. El nombramiento de una ministra y un viceministro negros en Colombia ha generado un debate sobre la situación de los afrocolombianos. Pese a tener una ley y un reconocimiento constitucional que para algunos son mo...